Partner & Private Equity Leader
Lippes Mathias Wexler Friedman
John J. Koeppel is a Partner and the Team Leader of the Private Equity and M&A Practice at the law firm of Lippes Mathias. Mr. Koeppel is a corporate lawyer who has successfully structured, negotiated and closed over 250 transactions in his 18-year career, which typically involve mergers and acquisitions, fund formations and investments, and various private equity transactions (including fund secondary transactions, co-investments, venture financings and cross-border deals). He acts as counsel to a number of leading funds, independent sponsors, institutional investors and middle market companies focused on buy-out, venture, real estate, intellectual property, fund-of-funds, co-investments, secondaries and other strategies. He also often acts as US counsel to non-US clients on their US private equity and investment fund transactions.
On the M&A / private equity transactions side, Mr. Koeppel has advised on deals from $5 million to $250 million+ in a wide range of industries, including manufacturing, technology, consumer goods, food, distribution, business services, cleantech and medical / health care.
He is a frequent speaker at a number of leading private equity and M&A events. Mr. Koeppel and his team take a pro-active and practical approach to helping clients make connections and successfully navigating the various legal challenges in any private equity transaction. Prior to joining Lippes, he was a partner in the private equity and investment funds group of an AmLaw 100 firm.
SUNY Buffalo Law School, J.D., magna cum laude
State University of New York at Buffalo, M.B.A., with distinction
State University of New York at Buffalo, B.S., summa cum laude
Admitted to Practice
- New York
Honors & Awards
- Chambers USA, Leading Corporate/M&A Lawyer (Upstate New York)
- Chambers USA, Leading Private Equity Lawyer (Investment Funds)
- Chambers Global, Leading Private Equity Lawyer (Investment Funds)
- Upstate New York Super Lawyers®, Leading M&A Lawyer and Leading Closely Held Business Lawyer (2015, 2016)
- American Bar Association – Negotiated Acquisitions, Private Equity and Venture Capital, and Closely Held Business Committees
- New York State Bar Association – Business Law Section
- Bar Association of Erie County – Corporation Law Committee, Past Chair
- Vistage – Trusted Advisor
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Upstate Venture Association of New York
TAG Talk – Best Practices for Clients in Working with Outside Counsel.
This program will discuss how companies can more effectively work with their outside counsel – and in the process: reduce their legal risks, incorporate better legal processes, and reduce their cost on outside legal spend. John Koeppel has been outside corporate counsel to 100+ companies in his two decade career, and will share his thoughts (and real world examples) on the best strategies for companies to use when working with outside counsel.